The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government is devising its strategy to drive the economic growth of the province. Industry is one of those sectors in the province that ranks high on the priority list of the government, due to its wide ranging economic impact, source of inclusive poverty reduction, and employment generation. Furthermore, the Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has huge untapped potential, which if unlocked, can result in tremendous benefits for the province. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is blessed with immense minerals and other raw materials for promotion of Industries. A targeted investment strategy, coupled with a coherent industrial policy of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa would greatly assist the prospective investors.
The Industries, Commerce & Technical Education Department is one of the major Government Institutions striving to promote industrial development, trade and investment in the province. The main focus of activity is promotion of trade and investment in the province.The Government of the KhyberPakhtunKhwa is keen on creating a business-friendly investment climate in line with the Federal Government Policies and present the Province as an attractive investment destination for the entrepreneurs / investors.
Aims & Objectives
The objective of the Industrial Policy of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is essentially to develop the economy of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa by taking the following steps:
• To rehabilitate the sick industrial units by taking necessary remedial measures.
• To create more jobs by facilitating Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to grow and flourish by providing Business Support Services (BSS) including necessary finances.
• To create more Special Economic Zones (SEZs) to attract local and foreign investors to set up industries.
• To improve infrastructural facilities in the existing industrial estates.
The Mission of Industries Department is:
• To strive for social development and economic prosperity of people, especially the poor and under privileged masses
• To provide opportunities for large scale employment through private sector
• To develop human capital to meet the needs of industry
• To utilize natural resources for sustainable industrial development
• To set up industries based on local raw material and skilled labour to achieve comparable cost advantage and attract investment
As per Rules of Business, the following are the key functions of the IC&TD Department.
Legislation, policy formulation, and sectoral planning related to Industries, Commerce and Technical Education
Coordination and facilitation of Chambers of Commerce and Industries and Trade Organizations.
Boilers Act, 1923
Land Acquisition Act, 1894
Partnership Act, 1932
KP Consumer Protection Act 2015
KP Small Industrial Development Board Act, 1973
KP Technical Education and Vocational Training Authority Act 2010
Societies Registration Act, 1860
The Vision of Industries Department is:
To build prosperous a Khyber Pakhtunkhwa through sustainable and balanced industrial development there by creating large employment opportunities and fiscal space in human development and infrastructure, and to mobilize resources to surmount low investment, poor productivity, and degrading physical and socia infrastructure.
Who We Are
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is the third largest province of Pakistan in terms of Population which is around 27.50 million. The total land area is approximately 74,521 sq. km. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is bequeathed with natural resources which have resulted in many investment opportunities. Despite the fact the population of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is generally known as hardworking, the Industrialization in the province has no significant role in its overall socio-economic development.